New Job Vacancy at The British Government Tanzania – Communications Officer
view Vacancy – Communications Officer B3 (03/21 DAR)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
New Job Vacancy at The British Government Tanzania – Communications Officer 2021
Job Category Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory Communications, Press and Media
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
To support delivery of the UK government’s objectives in Tanzania through proactive communications. Using mainstream, specialist and social media to (a) raise awareness of UK government activity in Tanzania and (b) support the policy work of the British High Commission.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Communicate the British High Commission’s objectives and messages in the Tanzanian media.
- Work with British High Commission teams to devise communications strategy appropriate to each subject area.
- Draft and issue press releases, social media, media lines, and advise the British High Commissioner and other senior officers on interactions with the media.
- Lead on organising interviews, events and other media opportunities for staff.
- Build the High Commission’s social media presence, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, through regular updating with relevant, interesting, targeted content.
- Maintain an effective list of contacts, covering all aspects of communications work, and use this contacts network as required.
- Lead on promotion of the Chevening scholarship programme, the UK’s flagship scholarship.
- Use project management skills to manage finances for small-scale projects.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Two years work experience in Communications
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications
- Active listening skills
- Strong IT skills (Word, PowerPoint, social media, basic photo editing)
- Thorough understanding of the media environment in Tanzania
- Fluent in Swahili and English
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience of organising events / conferences / marketing etc.
- An existing network of contacts in media
- Bachelors degree in Communications
- Seeing the Big Picture, Changing and Improving, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering
Application deadline 28 September 2021
Grade B3 (L)
Type of Position Permanent
Working hours per week 37.5 hours
Country/Territory United Republic of Tanzania
Location (City) Dar Es Salaam
Type of Post British High Commission
Number of vacancies 1
Salary TZS 2,551,098.94
Start Date 1 December 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- Internal Communications learning and development opportunities are available. The UK government makes a wide-range of online and in-person training available.
- Monday – Thursday 07:30 – 15:30; Fridays 07:30 – 13:00
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission Dar Es Salaam are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Tanzania.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in Tanzania
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.