National Communications Consultant At FAO, December 2020|The deadline for submitting the application is 15 December 2020
JOB TITLE: National Communications Consultant
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), leads international efforts to alleviate hunger, eliminate poverty and achieve food and nutrition security for all. At present, FAO is supporting a number of interventions related to Agriculture (crop, Livestock, Fisheries, Forestry development and Food Security And Nutrition. FAO is seeking for suitably qualified and experienced Communication consultants to support on visibility of FAO work at country level.
The National Communication Consultant will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, and the direct supervision and guidance of the Assistant FAO Representative – Programme and technical supervision of the FAO communication officers from FAO Sub-regional Office for Southern Africa as well as technical backstopping from the Regional Office for Africa (RAF) and Headquarters
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative and the guidance of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), working in close collaboration with the various programme officers and with regular consultation and coordination with the Sub regional Communication Officer (based in Harare) and Regional Communication Officer (based in Accra) the incumbent shall ensure coherence with FAO’s corporate communication policy and operational guidelines for all communication and information outputs. Specifically, the tasks will be the following
Tasks and responsibilities
- Research and draft media and advocacy materials; create/prepare documents for publications in journals, position papers, opening speeches and talking points
- Collect and synthesize information and package; including production, editing of human interest stories including success stories and case studies, press releases, media advisories, web stories for all FAO Tanzania projects, programmes and campaigns.
- Document and edit texts of a specialized or technical nature on FAO’s work in order to ensure accuracy, clarity, cohesion and conformity with FAO; house-style language, policy and practice
- Lead the preparation for the annual World Food Day activities in the country and the participation of FAO Tanzania in other important food and agriculture related national events including the International Day of Forests, Nane Nane (Farmers’ Day) etc.
- Track, research and analyze information on assigned topics/issues; gather information from diverse sources and help synthesize briefs
- Lead editorial review of FAO Tanzania public information documents, videos, public materials (including the website and social media platforms), presentations, newsletters, bulletins for public review
- Design, plan, formulate and manage the Office’s social media presence – in line with the FAO’s Corporate Guidelines
- Provide advice to FAO Tanzania staff on the strategic use of media tools (including social media) to strengthen FAOs agriculture and food security leadership and advocacy role.
- Under technical leadership of projects CTA/Coordinators, develop and disseminate visibility materials to promote projects
- Under technical leadership of ECTAD Team leader develop and disseminate visibility materials on GHSA/EPT-2/OH and Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).
- Prepare and coordinate high profile visits, events around FAO global, regional and local work.
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Have at least 5 years of Professional experience in Public Information/ Communication, in the area of agriculture or related field preferably in Tanzania
- National of Tanzania
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Swahili for various audiences
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and effectively
- Experience in drafting/editing variety of UN public information documents/ products
- Ability to work efficiently in a team while establishing and maintaining effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Experience in publishing or writing clear and concise scientific papers, policy papers, and plans
- Excellent computer skills.
- Selection Criteria
- Extent and relevance of work experience;
- Excellent communication skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
The deadline for submitting the application is 15 December 2020